Training + Implementation Specialist
Title: Training + Implementation Specialist
Location: Oakland, CA
Reports to: Curriculum + Instruction Director
Position Type: Full-time
The Level Playing Field Institute is now SMASH! SMASH Academy, a program that US News and World Report called “Perhaps the most ambitious program to encourage African American and Latino students in STEM fields” is heading into its 15th summer this year. SMASH is an organization committed to eliminating the barriers faced by underrepresented people of color in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) and fostering their untapped talent for the advancement of our nation.
Founded in 2001, SMASH is an Oakland-based nonprofit organization that operates the Summer Math and Science Honors Academy (SMASH), a year-round STEM-focused academic program that serves underrepresented high school students. In tandem, SMASH conducts research examining inequity in access and opportunity across K-12, higher education, and workplace contexts in order to improve the outcomes for underrepresented students in STEM fields.
SMASH Academy is a five week, three-year Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) residential academic acceleration program for motivated, high school students from underrepresented populations (African-American, Latinx/Hispanic, Southeast Asian and/or Pacific Islander, and Native American), who have demonstrated an aptitude for science and math.
When SMASH scholars graduate from SMASH Academy, they are in their senior year of high school and officially become a part of our SMASH Alumni Program. The alumni program includes, but is not limited to: Senior College Preparatory Program, SMASH Rising Internship Preparatory Program, SMASH Alumni Board, SMASH Alumni Summit, Alumni Newsletter.
This is a pivotal time for SMASH as we begin building on the success of our education programs, we are embarking on an aggressive expansion strategy to achieve national impact. Working at SMASH is about fast growth, personal commitment and the tenacity to challenge the status quo. This is not for the faint of heart. But if you think you have what it takes to dare to change the face of STEM. Join us.
At SMASH, we envision a STEM ecosystem where every scholar, regardless of the zipcode they grew up in, has the opportunity to participate in and thrive in the tech innovation economy. We believe that equipping our scholars with skills to be competitive in STEM fields can transform how we work and, in turn, yield tremendous social impact.
The Training + Implementation Specialist will build, support, and facilitate a scalable training and implementation national model for SMASH staff as well as support additional professional learning initiatives outside of SMASH Academy. We are looking for someone with an innovative approach and a growth mindset, who believes that professional development should be transformative. You will play a key role in ensuring that SMASH staff have the necessary support and tools to successfully implement a high quality national program consistently across all sites.
This position requires thinking outside of the box and managing details while keeping the big picture in mind. As we are a national program, you will be supporting the alignment of practices for sites at all our locations.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed below.
- In conjunction with the Curriculum and Instruction Director, outline a strategic plan for training + implementation of SMASH curriculum and content that leverages technology (e.g. online learning platforms, video trainings, etc.)
- Apply Design Thinking and Lean Startup frameworks to the design and roll out training and implementation plans across all national SMASH sites
- Identify national performance instruments, metrics, and predictors of successful adult learning and program implementation models
- Acquire in-depth knowledge of SMASH curricula, current training practices, and operations
- Design, update, and maintain a SMASH training + implementation model (including, but not limited to training materials, training schedule, workshop agendas, etc) in alignment with SMASH mission, vision, and goals
- Develop a comprehensive roll out plan for implementation of professional learning + trainings for 2020
- Manage national implementation of professional learning + training program for SMASH sites (including logistics, record keeping, communication with lateral teams, etc.)
- Facilitate trainings for SMASH staff, including Site Directors, seasonal staff (instructional, residential staff, and program) across national SMASH sites
- Field staff questions around trainings
- Analyze feedback, triage, and follow-up with participants as needed on issues identified in survey results
- Work with the Curriculum and Instruction Director + Research Team to develop a quality assessment plan
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data to evaluate the effectiveness of trainings and iteratively improve training + implementation model
- Attend regular 1:1 meetings with the Curriculum and Instruction Director, and other program meetings with SMASH team
- Support STEM and CS professional learning projects beyond SMASH Academy as needed (e.g. teacher training initiatives, etc.)
- Travel as needed for professional development, planning, and programming
- Collaboration: Exceptional listening, communication, and presentation skills; professionalism; excellent time management and organizational skills; timeliness and dependability; ability to have difficult conversations
- Relationship Building: Respect for individual differences of everyone in the room; humility; patience when addressing situations; ability to listen to multiple perspectives; restorative approach to relationship building and conflict resolution
- Problem Solving: Remain curious, innovate, iterate, and quickly pivot as needed; keep activities on task, think creatively, and act swiftly in the face of unexpected events
- Resilience: Approach situations with a growth mindset, adapt, and reflect to ensure desired outcome(s) are met
- Bachelor's degree (advanced degree a plus)
- 2+ years conducting engaging and effective trainings and learning experiences for adults across various platforms and settings (experience conducting online learning a plus)
- Demonstrated effectiveness in program development (STEM program design a plus)
- Comfort with the foundational aspects of 21st Century skills and adult learning model
- Demonstrated commitment to working with underrepresented populations and individuals of diverse backgrounds
- A belief that ALL scholars are capable of high achievement
- Commitment to SMASH’s mission and STEM diversity; willingness to embrace goals/values is essential
- Results-driven; work around potential obstacles to ensure all goals are met and deliverables are completed by end of program
- Experience with innovation labs, design-thinking, and project-based learning
- Proficiency in structuring, delivering, and facilitating learning experiences using a blended learning model, project-based pedagogy, media techniques, or online education
- Self-starter with ability to work on multiple initiatives at the same time; excellent project management skills
- Energetic and entrepreneurial spirit about innovative education models and nonprofit organizations to shift paradigms
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative, team environment
If you are missing some of the qualifications, but feel you would be amazing at this role, we want to hear from you. Please apply and share why you would excel given the opportunity.
SMASH provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, paid time off, 401k, volunteer time and flexible spending accounts (i.e. parking, transit, medical and dependent care). Our collaborative office is located in Oakland’s dynamic Uptown District. SMASH shares the building with several professional service and nonprofit organizations. We also hold community-building events and have a collegial atmosphere with a shared mission for social justice and educational equity.
Statement of Non-Discrimination
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination/ harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/ domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination/ harassment based on "protected categories," SMASH also strives to prevent other, subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (e.g., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at SMASH.